Wednesday, May 20, 2015

MUNI Moab

On our first day in Moab I decided to check out the bike trails I'd heard so much about. After being confronted with an overwhelming number of options online, I decided to just head to the world famous Slickrock Trail, (link 2). It's a ~13 mile loop of steep ascents and descents over undulating sandstone, which gives amazing grip even on the steepest of slopes. Renowned for being incredibly difficult on a bike both from a technical as well as cardio standpoint, my goal was simply to go out and have fun, riding whatever I could, and walking the rest with my unicycle.

Unfortunately, I didn't come super prepared for taking pictures, so I just have some stills from my iPhone below, no action shots :(  Stacey and I were going to head back out again before leaving the area to get some pictures/videos of me riding, but my legs were totally shot for ~3 days afterwards, so we weren't able to go back for pictures.

The ride was a blast. I did the 2.3mi practice loop, continued along the main trail to where it splits into the main loop, went out maybe a mile, then turned around and headed back since it was getting late. Probably ~7 miles round trip and ~2 hours of riding. A bit slower than the ~5mph Roland and I seem to average in Skyline Open Space, Russian Ridge, Monte Bello, etc. 

As always, the unicycle drew a lot of attention. As I was gearing up in the parking lot, people were amazed that I was going to attempt the trail on a unicycle. Once on the trail, I got nothing but positive comments cheering me on. At one point a group on expensive full suspension bikes bowed down saying "we're not worthy, we're not worthy!" I got a laugh out of that. 

Despite not being super prepared (headed out late in the day, hadn't ridden in ~2 months), I had a great time and would love to go back. Moab isn't thaaaat far from Seattle, right?


Nimbus 24" mountain unicycle









The bike trail intersected with a Jeep trail at one point. The trail was MUCH steeper than it looks here in pictures

A group of bikers fixing a busted derailleur




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please log into your Google or Gmail account first before typing a comment, otherwise blogger will take you to a login page when you hit "publish" and your comments will be lost!